Sunday, June 30, 2013

Reading Log - June 2013





It shouldn't come as a surprise that as an amature author, I read.  A lot.  When I'm not first-drafting or editing, I try to be reading.  And I try to not just read genres that I'm partial to when I'm writing; my general rule of thumb the last few years is that it doesn't matter what the content or the genre is: As long as it sounds interesting and is well-written, I'll read it.

Ever since I graduated college in 2009 I've been keeping a log of how many books I read in a year, from June to June.  So far my count has been 30 books a year, which I'm always trying to break.  I didn't get off to a very good start this year as I only finished two in the month of June, but I'm hoping to amend real quick.


East of Eden by John Steinbeck

East of Eden was one of my bucket list books - a book that needed to be read sometime in my lifetime.  My mom was the one who first suggested it to me, and considering that I enjoyed Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath (I'm probably the only one in my whole junior English class who did), I knew that Steinbeck and I got along pretty well and gave it a go.  The book might not have blown me away like I was expecting it to, but I did enjoy it; it's a great window into the past, and it takes place in an area of the country that I'm familiar with and can picture easily.  It was also very easy to read, so I felt like I moved through its 600+ page bulk at a pretty decent pace.  The characters were incredibly well-written, from world-wise Samuel Hamilton, to philosophical Lee (my favorite character), to the Devil-in-the-flesh Cathy/Kate.  It's a great introspect to the true nature of Good and Evil and the ending is both heartbreaking and uplifting.  This is one of those books that I wish I could have studied while in college; you could easily discuss this book with a group of fellow literary nerds for hours and never repeat the same idea twice.


This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

It's like The Breakfast Club meets Night of the Living Dead, though I mean that in the best way possible.  Yes, this book is about the end of the world and the collapse or civilization and yes, it does have zombies, but that's not what the story is about.  It's really a story about human nature when confronted with the breakdown of order and society.  Sloan, the story's protagonist, is almost qualified to be an invisible narrator; her tragic situation at her home even before the zombie apocalypse starts gives the readers a raw, honest look at the other characters through her eyes without a "woe is me" veil to obscure it.  There were times where it was not an easy book to read, as it's very angsty and it was hard to like any of the characters for a long period of time, but I think that was the author was going for and in that case, it was very well executed.  It was also creepy as shit to boot.  I can watch a million zombie movies and not be phased, but after reading chunks (no pun intended) of this book at a time there would be some nights when I didn't want to go near the open windows, much less look outside them and see something sinister lurking across the street.

1 comment:

  1. 30 books a year is far better than I manage. I'm horrible as far as making a set reading schedule. One year I'll manage two books, the next I'll have 50+. I get encouragement if it's a series that I highly enjoy -- The Dresden Files, for instance. I read through those like that *snaps fingers*.

    I do make a point to try and read the "classic" novels, and I need to go slower with those because I'm reading at a more even pace. The classics don't give into this pretentious American "give me the answers now" attitude that has taken over in recent years, and I appreciate the classics for the leisure that they instill in me.

    ReplyDelete